October is Dental Hygiene Appreciation Month, and we are excited to share it with you. Not only are we providing a quick reminder of ways you can practice excellent dental hygiene, but we also want to recognize our incredible team of hygienists at our Holly Springs and Cary dentists‘ offices.
How Did Dental Hygiene Appreciation Month Come to Be?
The American Dental Hygienists’ Association saw a growing connection on oral health and whole body wellness as well as a decline in the dental health of their patients. In order to bring focus back to preventative measures both at home and in the dental office, they partnered with Wrigley (Yes, the chewing gum company!) to establish National Dental Hygiene Month with the first month occurring in 2009. Since it’s establishment, it’s also been used as an opportunity to celebrate and recognize the incredible work dental hygienists do to improve the dental health of patients and educate them in keeping their teeth and gums in good condition.
The Role of a Dental Hygienist
A dental hygienist works with the dentist to ensure each patient gets exemplary care. They often perform the following tasks:
- Teeth cleaning and tartar removal
- Preliminary examination
- Taking blood pressure and pulse
- Fluoride treatments for kids
- Administering a local anesthesia
- Patient education
- Taking dental x-rays
Hygienists in North Carolina must be licensed, which requires completion of an accredited dental hygiene program with an Associate’s Degree in Dental Hygiene as well as successfully completing a written examination and a clinical examination requirement. This ensures they have the practical and clinical knowledge necessary to provide the best care for patients.
Keeping Up with Your Dental Hygiene
One of the best ways you can take part in National Dental Hygiene Month is by making your dental health and hygiene a top priority. This includes:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each;
- Flossing daily, taking care to follow the proper methods to remove all debris and particles from between every tooth;
- Drinking water throughout the day to keep your mouth rinsed and increase saliva production to reduce bacteria and remove particles;
- Chewing sugarless gum with xylitol to reduce decay causing bacteria on your teeth;
- Avoiding foods, drinks, and other habits that damage your dental health, including cigarettes and tobacco products, soda, juice, and hard candy with sugar;
- Scheduling a dental checkup and cleaning;
Recognizing Our Incredible Dental Hygienists
At Sninski & Schmitt Family Dentistry, we have an amazing team, and we wanted to take a moment to recognize our own dental hygienists for their hard work and dedication. Every day, they strive to improve the dental health of our patients of all ages and backgrounds, providing the compassionate care and comprehensive health services needed to improve their dental well being. We are proud to have them on staff and know that our office is better because they’re here.
Schedule a Checkup and Cleaning Today
This is a great time to schedule your bi-annual dental checkup and teeth cleaning to recognize National Dental Hygiene Month. You can reach us at our Holly Springs dentist office at (919)-600-6262 and our Cary dentist office at (919) 467-2203. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.